Taking proper care of your bras will keep your bras beautiful and most importantly make them last longer. Here’s 14 tips on how to wash bras:
1. Rotate your bras daily – don’t wear the same bra two days in a row. The elastic needs to recover back to its original shape so it can last longer.
2. Wash your bra after 2 or 3 wears.
3. Have enough of a selection (at least 3 or more) so you don’t have to wash each one as often, increasing the shelf life.
4. Hand washing is the safest and best way to wash bras.
5. Use cool water when washing bras (cold water helps maintain elasticity.)
6. Use alcohol free detergent / gentle soap or even a baby shampoo. Never use bleach – any harsh chemicals can ruin your bra.
7. If you’re using a washing machine, make sure to use a cold and delicate cycle.
8. Fasten the hooks. This will prevent them from catching on to fabric and ruining your clothes.
9. Place bras inside a lingerie bag so they don’t get tangled up in the wash. (mesh bags work too)
10. Wash with like colors, bras tend to pick up dyes from the load.
11. Avoid washing bras in heavy loads – jeans, towels, sheets and other heavy items can damage your bra in the wash.
* Sports Bras – rinse with cool water after every use – get rid of the sweat so it doesn’t damage the fabric. Wash with detergent after 2 or 3 wears depending on the intensity of your workout.
12. Never put bras in the dryer – heat ruins the spandex/elastic and your bra will tangle up with your clothes.
13. Lay the bra flat to dry to prevent from losing its shape.
14. If your bra is molded, reshape the cups by smoothing them with your hands and then stuffing the cups with either socks or panties to retain shape as they dry.